Together, Let’s Save This!

MHPNHS-MAA
M.H. del Pilar Science and Technology Centrum Bulacan Capitol Grounds. Source: MHPNHS-MAA Facebook page

That’s Jaime FlorCruz’s exhortation as he ends his latest piece in the August 2016 issue of our Alumni Republic-Malaya which he edits.

“This is not just a junk of an edifice. This is about all the people who walked daily under this gate. This evokes nostalgia, identity, and association,”  says Nestor Tinio, heritage advocate.

When MHPHS moved to its present site in Sta. Isabel in 1983, this building was used for various purposes like being the temporary home of the Bulacan Public Community College (now known as Bulacan Polytechnic College). Fire sometime during the administration of Gov. Josie M. dela Cruz gutted the entire building, leaving the concrete gate or entrance doors as shown here.

Recently, construction of the provincial Livelihood Training Center on the same site has started and what remains of the MHPHS facade will most likely give way to the new structuture.

Can this gate be moved to the present Sta. Isabel campus to save it? That’ll will be up to us, Del Pilarians, who’ll surely remember this structure built in 1955.

Alumni batches from Class 1955 to Class 1985 “who walked daily under this gate” will never forget.

Here are various pictures of the Marcelo facade from 1956, when it was newly-built, up to the present.

MHPHS Capitol Campus Marker
The marker constructed by Class 1956 declaring the building as Marcelo's first structure on the very same site
« 1 of 8 »

Article by P.T. Martin (Class 1968)

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*